Technology Overload?


In the 60 seconds blog post, I discussed the apparent extent to which we use technology. I want to now consider the use of technology within the classroom, how it can benefit as well as be an inconvenience. Take a look at the picture below:


At my university we use “moodle”, an open-source software which I can access anywhere and provides with everything I need. I can open course material whenever and where ever I want; this is great for managing my work, and course material. I can find lecture slides and work, at times when you miss a class or lecture for whatever reason; this is extremely useful as you are less likely to fall behind. Having spoken to some students, I found out that they will sometimes miss lessons knowing that they are provided with material online. When it comes to lectures it easy to recognise faces and remember people. Across my time at university I noticed how lecture halls were not filled to capacity, however during exam time you see faces you haven’t seen all year round.

Podcasting and videos also allows students to catch up on work outside of lessons. I find some lecturers provide masses of information and I can’t take notes on all of it down, some parts I mishear or don’t hear at all. So podcasting allows me to listen through the lecture and update notes; however this is also another mean of missing lessons.

I consider the use of projector to be incredibly affective. If anyone does remember when we used whiteboards and blackboards, the teacher constantly rubs off items as the class goes on. With projectors and computers, it is proven that we can always refer back to something because there is no need to remove it. The visualisation keeps students interacted and entertained. I have walked into a class where the lecturer decided to play a song by Rihanna for us.

I believe that the level of accessibility we have outside of the classroom grants students to miss classes and lectures. Due to this I think that many individuals lose out on that one-to-one time with lecturers and this can significantly affect the grades they leave university with.

No comments:

Post a Comment