Tablets Vs. Books

Now that tablets contain a library for all the books we need, is it necessary for students to carry numerous, heavy books to their classes. Having a compact device which easily fits into your bag over carrying 3 textbooks? I know I’d choose to carry a tablet. However can a tablet really replace textbooks, in the future generations are we about to see that nobody knows how to use a text book?

Baby – A magazine is an iPad that does not work. 


I have at times told my younger sister to look up a word in a dictionary and found she doesn't know how to use one properly, and would rather prefer to use a mobile device. During school owning a dictionary was part of the curriculum for myself. I find even now people who are in my age group studying for a degree, flick through a textbook for what they are looking for. When we have a contents page and an index page, which can help find information promptly.

Lets take a look at the history of tablets;


We've come a long way in developing the tablet; they're now faster and have so many applications that enable us. Technology now allows us to create a "Library" on our tablets. Saving all the books we need to read through, additionally we can highlight points and even create notes on these books. Comparing this to taking out real books from the library, carrying them around and not being able to use them to our utmost disposal, what is the point? When we can access the same information via a portable, easy to use device, is the hassle in textbooks necessary?


 The use of technology could bring forward a great deal of wisdom if used correctly, but not forgetting the traditional books. Researching into this area of the topic, I found that purchasing the books on a tablet is a lot cheaper and students may consider looking into this. However I myself can use both but at times prefer physical paper books. In the future I don’t know if we will still have books; there are a few problems with books such as wear and tear, they are not perfect. Nevertheless how sure are we that technology will not one day fail us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment